Physical Education

tennis

hockey

Practical PE is taught to pupils in Years 7 - 9 where they experience a variety of activities including volleyball, badminton, cross country, table tennis, water polo, athletics, basketball and water safety. All pupils in Years 7 - 9 have one double period of PE per week. Year 11 pupils who decide not to play a major sport, can select an activity for their Wednesday afternoon Games lesson. Activities on offer throughout the year include golf, swimming, cross country, dance, fitness suite, table tennis, basketball and squash.

Academic Physical Education

In Year 10, pupils who want to continue with Physical Education can choose to study GCSE PE (exam board AQA). This course has been developed in conjunction with the Youth Sport Trust, to ensure that the new specification includes a variety of topics, helping students to develop a well-rounded skill set and progress to further studies. 40% of the course is practical and the remaining 60% covers theoretical topics which include: Anatomy and Physiology, Movement Analysis, Physical Training, Health, Fitness and Wellbeing, Sports Psychology, and Socio-Cultural influences.
When pupils reach Year 12, we run a Level 3 Cambridge Technical in Sport and Physical Activity. This is the equivalent to one full A-Level and the course allows students to develop their knowledge, understanding and skills of the principles of sport and physical activity. Students will gain an insight into the sports sector and cover topics which include: Body Systems and the Effects of Physical Activity, Sports Coaching and Activity Leadership and Sports Organisation and Development. Students will also practically apply their skills and knowledge in preparation for further study and the workplace. Designed in collaboration with experts spanning the breadth of the sector, the Level 3 Cambridge Technical in Sport and Physical Activity focuses on the requirements that today’s universities and employers demand.

Director of Sport: Mrs A Brown

Major Sport Contacts:
Head of Rugby: Mr A Calder
Head of Netball: Mrs L Napier
Head of Performance Netball: Miss E Hanner
Head of Hockey: Mr D Rudge
Head of Tennis: Mrs R Thompson
Head of Cricket: Mr G Turner

Additional Sport Contacts:
In Charge of Basketball: Mr A Calder
In Charge of Squash: Mr D Sutcliffe
In Charge of Swimming: Mr E Grew
In Charge of Fitness Suite: Mr A Priest
In Charge of Cross Country: Mr W Minns
In Charge of Athletics: Mr A Calder
In Charge of Badminton: Mr J Freeman
In Charge of Football: Mr D Brown